I’m a user experience (UX) design and research leader with 12 years of experience in both hands-on and managerial roles within agency and in- house environments. I’m passionate about creating engaging products by way of a collaborative and research driven design approach.
My keenest interest and focus lies in enterprise UX. As such, recent experiences have seen me involved in the transformation of Deutsche Bank’s Global Transaction Banking products as well as the large-scale overhaul of ADP’s Human Capital Management and Payroll services.
- Managing small teams of UX designers and user researchers.
- Leading strategic design initiatives and evangelizing UX to stakeholders.
- Planning, managing and conducting UX design and user research project activities within ‘Agile’, ‘Waterfall’ and ‘Lean’ contexts.
- Researching users by way of contextual inquiry techniques, semi-structured interviews and observational studies.
- Facilitating workshops to synthesise research outputs, generate product requirements, and define user journeys and personas.
- Designing wireframes and prototypes in tools such as Axure, OmniGraffle, Balsamiq and Sketch.
- Leading iterative concept and usability studies to support development teams by way of feature prioritization.
- Training product managers in research and requirements gathering.
Loughborough University: Ergonomics BSc (Hons), 2:1
September 2001 – June 2004
Loughborough University: General Science & Engineering
September 2000 – June 2001
User Solutions (Director | UX Research & Design Consultant)
September 2014 – Present
Deutsche Bank (Vice President | UX Researcher & Designer)
March 2012 – September 2014
User Solutions (User Research Consultant)
September 2007 – March 2012
Mott MacDonald (Senior Human Factors Consultant)
August 2005 – September 2007
August 2004 – August 2005
Director | UX Research & Design Consultant
- Providing UX design and user research consultancy to multiple clients.
- Held ‘Head of UX’ and “Lead UX” roles; managing teams and suppliers.
GSMA (via UXA)
- Providing strategic UX support to GSMA’s Director-level stakeholders including product management and journalism teams.
- Project effort is focused upon increasing engagement, readership, cross-sell and ad revenues of Mobile World Live publication.
- Leading research across 18 countries with over 50 participants.
Betfair API Project
- Designing a Betfair API data analysis application aimed at capturing real-time data and providing price action indicators.
Association of Accounting Technicians (via UXA)
- Led project to help define AATs vision for their online and offline services.
- Managed research and design activities including contextual inquiries, design workshops and persona development.
- Facilitated 40 contextual interviews to derive detailed design Personas.
- Led a team of 5 UX professionals throughout the discovery phase of ADP’s Human Capital Management module re-design project.
- Managed personnel and projects. Supported day-to-day activities including research initiatives and the creation of design concepts.
- Facilitated workshops with team members, stakeholders and users.
- Engaged and supported vendors throughout research projects.
- Led a large-scale International research project focusing upon increasing engagement of Canadian and Australian marketplace buyers and sellers.
Vice President | UX Researcher & Designer
- Managed a small team of permanent and contract UX designers.
- Supported multiple vendors, ensuring product designs and visions align to internal styles and standards.
- Leveraged user research methods to inform GTBs UX strategy.
- Evangelised UX to bank-wide audiences and regional hubs.
Trade Finance Application
- Planned UX project scope to support ‘Agile’ development.
- Led user research with clients across APAC, EMEA and NCSA.
- Developed user personas for GTB Trade Finance products.
- Created prototypes of increasing fidelity to validate concept iterations.
Customer Self Service Tools
- Led UX design and research effort throughout the development of GTB’s client self-service tool suite.
- Conducted user testing with internal teams and global clients.
Global Cash Manager Application
- Supported Product Managers throughout regional application rollout.
Custody and Asset Servicing
- Led a proof of concept study aimed at integrating DBs highly successful Custody offering into its Asset Servicing application.
Knowledge sharing / user research training
- Trained product managers in client insight and requirements gathering.
- Produced supporting videos and documentation covering basic interview techniques, data analysis and ‘pencil persona’ creation.
UX Research & Design Consultant
- Provided UX design and user research services to Argos, Audi, Betfair, Bet770, BUPA, Dairy Crest, GlaxoSmithKline, McDonald’s, myBet, PayPal, Reed Exhibitions, Shell, Sony Ericsson, and Xerox.
- Worked with EMEA product team to produce customer journeys and prototypes for PayPal’s credit application processes.
- Collaborated with legal, product, marketing and copy writing teams to ensure product compliance with local credit regulations.
- UX Lead for Reed Exhibitions’ B2B and B2C NOVA CMS platform.
- Worked within agile delivery team whilst facilitating requirements gathering with stakeholders and product managers.
- Conducted research across the Betfair suite of products including the Betfair Exchange, sports pages, poker, mobile and iPad.
- Leveraged lab-based testing alongside rapid evaluation techniques.
- Led design and research activities across GSK sales teams by way of interviews, card sorting and online surveys.
- Provided detailed design and implementation support; presenting insights to Director-level stakeholders at key milestones throughout the project.
- Designed touch-capable machine user interfaces.
- Co-created in-house design tool to improve UI design workflow.
- Worked with industrial designers, product managers and remote development teams to create behavioural specifications and UI designs.
Senior Human Factors Consultant
- Human Factors Consultant for HCI/HMI control systems, mobile devices and software applications.
- Performed user research, task analysis, cognitive workload studies, benchmarking and heuristic/expert evaluations.
- Provided usability guidance to development teams for HCI focused projects.
- Worked to ISO 9241, ISO 11064 and DDA standards.
- Carried out user interviews and facilitated design and ‘day-in-the-life’ workshops to establish user requirements.
- Performed usability engineer roles with Ryder Partnership, Cantor Gaming and M-Insight.